In 2015, the Ontario Independent Facilitation Network (OIFN) received two years of funding for the Independent Facilitation Demonstration Project (IFDP) through the Ministry of Community and Social Services (MCSS), which has since been re-named the Ministry of Children, Community, and Social Services (MCCSS). The project intended to expand the capacity of Independent Facilitation for people with developmental disabilities across the province and learn more about the benefits of Independent Facilitation. The project was extended for an additional year in 2017/2018 and again in 2018/2019. The project formally ended on March 31, 2019.
The Independent Facilitation Demonstration Project had three objectives:
- To increase the number of people who are receiving Independent Facilitation and planning;
- To evaluate the outcomes of Independent Facilitation and its impact in the lives of people who choose it;
- To build the capacity of grassroots Independent Facilitation Organizations so they are able to retain facilitators and operate sustainably.
Over 1,600 individuals experienced Independent Facilitation funded through requests to and referrals from the Ministry’s DSOs to an initial 7 Independent Facilitation Organizations* that were funded through this project, and which offered capacity building, mentoring, and support for Independent Facilitation.
OIFN convened gatherings in 6 communities across the province_ Thunder Bay, Near North (Huntsville, Parry Sound, Timiskaming), Hamilton-Brandt, London and area, York Region, and Kingston- with an intention to expand Independent Facilitation across the province.
OIFN continues to focus on the importance of genuine inclusion, belonging and raising people’s voices in the decisions that affect their lives. The need for change is more important than ever. OIFN is committed to collaborating with everyone who wants to work on what’s possible. We look forward to continuing our work together.
*Initial 7 Independent Facilitation Organizations involved in the IFDP:
- Bridges to Belonging Waterloo Region (formerly Facile Waterloo)
- Citizen Advocacy Ottawa
- Facile Independent Facilitation (formerly Facile Perth)
- Families for a Secure Future
- Facilitation Wellington Dufferin
- Partners for Planning
- Windsor Essex Brokerage for Personal Supports
Following the conclusion of the IFDP, some Independent Facilitation Organizations continue to support a limited number of people and families on a Fee-for-Service basis.
To connect with an IFO directly, please see this Independent Facilitation Organization Contact List.