“It is the Ontario Independent Facilitation Network’s mission to support, nurture, and preserve independent facilitation and planning through our efforts as a provincial Community of Practice and by linking with others across Ontario.”
We come together regularly as a community of practice to learn and grow, valuing our collective knowledge and competence. We are committed to Independent Facilitation, to the value of inclusivity, and to helping people with developmental disabilities live everyday ordinary lives as full citizens.
We are facilitators, people with developmental disabilities, family members and other supporters. We come together to share and gain knowledge and experience about what it takes to build inclusive communities through the use of independent facilitation. We join together to co-create a positive future where all belong.
Independent Facilitation Demonstration Project:
The Ontario Independent Facilitation Network (OIFN) has received two years of funding for the Independent Facilitation Demonstration Project (IFDP) through the Ministry of Community and Social Services (MCSS). The project is intended to expand the capacity of independent facilitation for people with developmental disabilities across the province and study the benefits of independent facilitation.
The Independent Facilitation Demonstration Project has three objectives:
To increase the number of people who are receiving independent facilitation and planning;
To evaluate the outcomes of independent facilitation and its impact in the lives of people who choose it;
To build the capacity of grassroots independent facilitation organizations so they are able to retain facilitators and operate sustainably.
Almost 1,100 individuals will experience independent facilitation and planning through this project.
Independent Facilitation, provides individuals with a developmental disability with the support to:
- Engage in the exploration of dreams and goals;
- Explore and discover what matters most and what’s important;
- Assist the person to make important decisions about his/her life;
- Connect with community life, and valued roles in community participation/ membership; and
- Build supportive relationships.
The Ontario Independent Facilitation Network and seven independent facilitation organizations are working together on this project over a two year period (April 2015 to March 31, 2017).
Independent Facilitation Organizations:
- Bridges to Belonging Waterloo Region – Cameron Dearlove, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 519-501-8714
- Citizen Advocacy Ottawa – Brian Tardif, Executive Director, email@example.com, 613-761-9522 Ext. 225
- Facile Independent Facilitation – Diane Peacock, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org,519-271-6565 Ext. 200
- Facilitation Wellington Dufferin – Joanna Goode, Director, email@example.com, 519-546-1471
- Families for a Secure Future – Judith McGill, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 647-693-9397, 416-997-3311
- Partners for Planning – Jeff Dobbin, Executive Director, email@example.com, 416-232-9444
- Windsor Essex Brokerage for Personal Supports – Marlyn Shervill, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 519-966-8094
Click here to download the brochure.