Join us on Zoom Video Conferencing
Monday, March 27, 2023
The topic for March is
Friendship in the Age of Loneliness, by Adam Smiley Powsolsky
Resources for discussion:
Video Discussion of the book on YouTube:
Join the Facebook Group for more details!
The OIFN Book Club is one thread of the Ontario Independent Facilitation Network (OIFN) Community of Practice.
We meet every few months, sometimes in person in Guelph, sometimes over Zoom Video Conferencing, and also through this Facebook Group as well, to discuss a book that relates to either disability issues or to wider topics of leadership and community, in the context of Independent Facilitation.
This is a Closed Group with membership by request or invitation, but all are welcome!
This Group is moderated by Susannah Joyce, London, ON and Joanna Goode, Erin, ON
“The Language of Us and Them,” poem by Mayer Shevin
How Small Gestures Can Bridge the Gap Between “Us” and “Them,” TED X Talk by Laura Kriska
“Remembering the Soul of Our Work: Stories by the Staff of Options in Community Living” edited by John O’Brien and Connie Lyle O’Brien
- “What Does Community Mean to You?” shows people being interviewed about their thoughts on this important topic.
- Communities of Character North Perth shares the initiative a local self-advocacy group took to make their town a Community of Character, where a different Value is celebrated and reflected on each month.
Two book selections by Japanese poet/author Naoki Higashida:
- The Reason I Jump
- Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man’s Voice from the Silence of Autism
Questions Change Everything in Community Engagement, TED Talk by Max Hardy:
Thoughts on actors with disabilities portraying people in movies and television who have a disability.
Below are links to some articles exploring this subject:
- Should non-disabled actors play disabled characters?
- Why Holiday Movies Should Be Inclusive of People With Disabilities
- Disabled TV Characters Played by Disabled Actors
- Why are so Many Disabled Roles Played by Non-Disabled Actors?
- Is it ever OK for non-disabled actors to play disabled roles?
- Disabled actors say they’re the ‘last civil rights movement’ in Hollywood
Trail of Light video clip from Karma Tube: https://www.karmatube.org/videos.php?id=8662
“Where Do We Stand?” by Beth Mount and John O’Brien
Download the free eBook.